Remember Valentino

August 23rd marks the anniversary of Valentino's passing in 1926.  On this day at Hollywood Forever there will be held, as it is every year, a memorial service to remember Valentino.  I have been in the past and they are quite fun, well put together and an enjoyable afternoon to remember the hottest star of the silent screen.  2014 proves it will be no exception, there will be short video presentations, and a keynote speaker on this years "theme" Valentino's homes.  Crowds will gather and pay their respects as they always do.



I've been a fan for many years of Rudolph Valentino.  It still is surprising to me, the ongoing and continuing growth of the fan base for him.  You'd think the interest would die down, but, Valentino's mystique still attracts people from all over the world.  Isn't that great?

Whether or not you can make it to Hollywood Forever, I do not think it matters. What matters is if you are a fan you remember Valentino and his legacy, his films and his short life.  People still do, from all walks of life.  Again, isn't that great?

I do not think it matters how you, yourself, choose to remember Valentino.  I guess this is true of any actor/actress/director you admire.  You can be there and place a floral tribute on his crypt, or place a virtual flower at Find a Grave.  

Most likely, I will choose a film I’m particularly fond of, cook some pasta or make some mussels for dinner because not only do I love them, Valentino did as well.  A perfect celebration of a life if you ask me.
 
Raise a glass and remember Valentino, not just this day, but any day you feel like it.  It's all good!
As an aside, Valentino's beloved doberman Kabar (pictured above) is also remembered here.  Also, if you are interested in reading about the history of the annual Valentino memorial services, I'd encourage you to read Valentino Forever and Valentino the Unforgotten.

Comments

Popular Posts